4.26.2011

Easter Weekend in the 303!

I write to you as I sit in the computer lab trying to drowned out the chaos around me with some new Augustana! Seems to be working quite well! I am excited to share with you my weekend! Forgive me if this post is more than a sittings worth of reading for you. If you have the time, grab a cup of coffee and let's pretend I'm sitting across from you sharing the exciting things the Lord has allowed me to be a part of!

Good Friday

The day started out like any other...with me being bullied on my way to the Downtown Mission! Yep, the real deal! Had some people accuse me of cutting them off when they ran a stop sign! They raced up beside me and started saying horrible things while throwing bottles and trash at my car. I would like to mention that I had a rental car at this time which made it even worse. Thankful for no dents! Each day I am developing a stronger back bone for the ghetto!

On to the good stuff!

I had the opportunity to be a part of the Easter Banquet that the Denver Rescue Mission puts on each year at the Downtown Mission! As I pulled up there were hundreds of men, women and children waiting in line. Nike and Adidas had donated 650 pairs of shoes to give away, we had drs examining their feet, foot washing and a meal for those in line. It was an incredible, humbling and powerful outreach event to be a part of. The state each one of the homeless came in reminded me of how I meet the Lord each day. In desperate need, weary, hungry and helpless. Each day he meets me and is faithful to restore and renew my weary soul with joy unspeakable, strength, and purpose to worship Him! 

That night I got to go to my first Tenebrae Service! 5 different churches joined together for this service! The word "tenebrae" comes from the Latin meaning "darkness." In this service on Good Friday, all of the lights and candles on the altar are gradually extinguished after scripture reading until the room is in complete darkness. This symbolized the death of Jesus.

Sunday

Got this crazy idea to wake up at 4:30am and road trip to Red Rocks with my friend, Matt, for their Sunrise Easter Service! I have never worn so many clothes on Easter! It was 35 degrees and rainy but was worth it! There's just something about being out in the mountains with some blue grass worship going on! It will definitely be an Easter morning that won't go forgotten!

This is the first Easter/ holiday that I have been away from family and friends. My good friend was out of town, so I was alone for most the day. I had lunch and dinner alone. Normally this would tear me apart. For the first time I realized that no matter where I was or who I was with I had something to celebrate and that my celebration should be the same! Those were the best two meals I have ever had alone. I felt satisfied in the Lord and content with right where he had me eating my shelter food!

God is so good, gracious and faithful. I am so thankful to be here! I am learning so much each day and being broken of myself. Each day it sinks in more and more that..

Psalm 73:26
    My flesh and my heart may fail,
   but God is the strength of my heart
   and my portion forever.

Let's be a people that approach the Lord hungry and needy! For He is the strength of our heart and our portion forever!

Miss each one of you terribly!!

No comments: